Saturday, July 30, 2011

Now... That's better....(July, 29th)

So far this has been a season that has never really started. Here we are ending July and have had so few of those classic big day's on the Columbia Basin. Simply put, today was good.

Mia was "crewing" (I ran the rig on the last flight). We setup at mid-point L-Road and were on our own. Conditions were blue, not too optimistic for the XC Skies but I had the feeling things were better then forecast.  After a shallow low tow north, at only a 1000ft I had Mia pull the extra 1/2 mile north across the highway (kind of a Dukes of Hazard transition across the highway ;-). I pinned off in broke light air and started to scratch up. Eventually climbing through 6500asl I decided with the 10mph N-W wind and a few scattered Q's it was best to drive my first leg down to Wilson creek.  Shortly after leaving the tow site I managed to break through 8500asl and was on my way.

Today was work day for Boeing. We had "Blue Tail and Red Belly" were both in action (the New 747's ) Blue was circling the neighbourhood at altitudes between 4 and 10 thousand asl.  Blue Tail did a cruise up Banks Lake at less then 4000 (showing off the product I guess). Kind of nerve-racking  experience when later, when over Dry Falls when I was near cloud-base at 9500asl I watched Blue Tail pass over top of the Q that I was under (1/2 mile to the east of me)! At this point I tried to recall my "From the Ground Up" flight training manual and wake turbulence rules.... hmmmmm was that "wake vortices disperse within 1000 ft ?.... 2000ft?....." At least "it" was east of me and there was a dramatic increase in westerly winds aloft which should keep the "Heavy" turbs down wind of me for several minutes....

The rest of the flight was without much drama.  I got a little low around Wilson creek and had to do a little scratching to work my way up toward Wilbur.  Occasionally the air was a little frisky in the turbulence department. Plenty of blue air thermals with the occasional shallow Q. Several trips up over 10,000asl.  The final leg back was good, staying high most of the way. Arriving across Banks on the west side I crossed paths with 3 PG pilots on a out and NO return flight from the Butte. I was heading for the tow site but  Mia encouraged me to stretch out the triangle so I took a dash up to North of Mansfield then back to the tow site. Mia was waiting with the cold beer and a windsock. 

Well attempting to land, there was a real strong cycle of activity so I decided to climb out from 3200 asl up to 4000 and wait for things to settle down. Tuned out to be a good plan as I when I finally came into land I had a nice 10mph westerly.  As per tradition, quick trip to Park Lake for a swim, beverage and back to the shack... exhausted. No that's more like it!

Flight: 5.3 hours, 185km FAI triangle (The Flight)

Today... my turn to Crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment