Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mansfield Encampment, “The first session” (part 1)….

For a variety of reason, this years encampment is being broken down into two session. The first session ran from June 29th to July 16th. This posting is not intended to be a daily flight log but more of a summary of some of the highlights from this first half of the encampment.

In a casual way, the summer objectives usually revolves around flying FAI triangles. The bigger the better. Often if conditions look exceptional or the weather forecast fools us into believing that something exceptional could happen…. we like to declare a record attempt. Mia is looking for her first 200km FAI triangle, I’m hoping for my first 300km.  If all else fails, the secondary objective is to log as many km’s as possible (racking up points for our OLC fun…) and if at all possible, as many of those km’s ending on the front lawn in Mansfield with a cold Beck’s from the fridge!

First day (Friday June 29th) in Mansfield was spent getting the place in shape, cutting the never ending forest of lawn, stocking the fridge and getting the rig in order. Not really prime towing conditions anyway with lots of wind and plenty of weather action (overdevelopment in the area).  Later that evening, Mia caught me sleeping in the living room listening to NPR… well sort of… I had dozed off with a glass of Scotch in my hand… Bliss….

Saturday June 30th, weather. Randy Pankew (proud owner of Mia’s “Old” ATOS VS) showed up but decided that the weather was a little on the industrial side so it was off to Park Lake for swim, and back to the shack for dinner.  Big thunderstorm pounded the banks lake region late in the day as we watched the spectacular display from Mansfield. (posted earlier on July 13th). The next day there was an amazing amount of moister still hanging in the air but Randy had to head home the next day so I got him inspired to join me for some flying (posted about the flights in an earlier post). After that, with poor weather in the forecast (not unusual for late June, early July) Mia decided to head back for a few extra days of work and Randy headed home, leaving me to take on various tasks around the shack including hard wiring our web cams that we hope to put up for public viewing. 

On July 4th, early AM,  Mike Bomstad from Spokane pulled into town with his tongue dragging on the ground desperate for some airtime so I agreed I would yank the big baby up. Of course it only because he is always good for video footage : (Mikes 07/04 flight ).  (Mike's landing from a different angle ).  After a little power gloating,  Mike and I where joined my Jorge and Michael (also from Spokane with Jorge being our token “Flex” pilot Winking smile ) Later that night Mia returned to find us all over indulging in Scotch… after a few tsk tsk tsk’s… she joined us.

July 5th was the kind of day that makes us smile. Mia teamed up with Michael (Jorge’s guardian and baby sitter) to get all three of the children into the air. Lots of blue sky with just the occasional Q popping south of the tow site. Both Mike and I plunged off to the south. Jorge headed off to the west toward Waterville. Down south toward the Beezly hills Mike and I where struggling to stay up (or at least making any headway toward our planned turn point and seldom getting over 7500asl ) so both of us bailed on our task and headed West over Rim Rock (a bizarre little red neck camp ground on the east side of Jameson coulee and off to the flats south of Farmer. From this point, things started getting good. Back up over 12,000 where a rigid wing really belongs Winking smile  Mike agreed to a little recon flight into the mountains on the west side of the Columbia river… this was going to be a first for both of us. Despite the 15-18 mph headwind the crossing was pretty encouraging, with beautiful clouds up ahead we pressed on.

Unfortunately, the great looking clouds where not producing any of the great lift we had left behind. NE of Cashmere and getting down below 9000asl and nothing that looked like a suitable emergency LZ… and we were both turning into cowards, I announced I had enough of these stinking mountains and declared it was time to head home. (no protest from Mike!)…. so with a good tail wind we plunged on back to our familiar flats just west of Waterville. Arriving back below 5000 asl we were promptly given a good slapping around for being unfaithful! By the time I had made my apologies for having been unfaithful I was digging myself out of Pine Canyon from 3900ft (600agl). With a little “I’m sorry” the broken ratty lift surged into 1200-1400 straight up over 10,000 and a wonderful set of clouds had formed a well marked street back to Mansfield (Clouds that Jorge had spent his whole flight enjoying…. pays to be faithful). Mike also got spanked, and with a similar prayer was also blessed with a nice climb and ended up a little behind but chasing me home.

Jorge announced that  he had gone from Waterville, out north of Sim’s to Leahy and was making for the beer fridge in Mansfield.  Clouds were still great so Mike and I headed off toward Leahy as there was plenty of sky to be enjoyed.  Mike was starting to snivel about getting cold hands (we were now easily getting up to 11,000+ ft asl)  so he called his turn just prior to Leahy and headed home. I took a more northern line and decided to explore Pearl Hill (NW of Leahy) and after bumping around the cloud base at 12,500+ I decided to pull the pin with nearly a 30km final glide home to the front lawn in Mansfield. I think we all duffed our landings (in a minor way)… I was late with my flair and skidded on… no tubes bent,. Our “near the house” LZ is a little rough and the wild grass makes for a tricky landing spot. I had tried to buzz cut a clear spot but I have to admit… allot of work yielded only a small clearing, that I promptly missed in the light switching conditions. Oh well, no bruises and the beer was cold! Our flights:

(Jorge's 120km Flexi flight) (Mikes "little" 184km triangle flight) (My "massive" 197km FAI triangle ;-) )

More to come…… Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment