Sunday, August 7, 2011

One Week in August Begins....

It has been a mixed up season this year on the "Flats" of central Washington. Wheat harvest is way behind, the ground has moisture, the days are getting shorter.  We are down in Mansfield for one more week of trying to log some distances for the OLC.

For a change today was a typical August day (6th), with morning north winds, forecast included lift to 8000, hot and blue (no clouds expected).  The only thing that was a bit of a negative, XC Skies predicted a case of the "Blue Meenies" to the south across the lake (Blue being the colour of poor lift).

Mia was supposed to fly but was a little under the weather and agreed to be "tow-master" for the day. Mike and myself (two VR's) were the only ones on the rig. I did the first tow, had a real hot launch, not sure but our airspeed indicator may have been sticking?... with a 1400ft tow I connected and was climbing out. Mike towed next, again a 1400ft tow (pretty good tow for our mid-point north tow). He struggled a bit but was soon up and away.

Mike took this picture of me on the "Rig":

P1030923

Plan was to head to Wilson Creek (50km SE) despite the poor GFS forecast. We figured if we got the height we would rely on the "Thermal Tops" forecast instead. As it turned out, what ended up being poorly predicted was the low level winds. The closer we got to Wilson Creek the more the ground was being scrubbed off by 10-15mph winds.  I was ahead and 6km short of Wilson creek turn-point, struggling below 5500ft asl, I had made the mistake last year of trying to push my luck under these conditions an knew if I pressed any closer I would be toast so took the light lift and converted it to a nice gradual down wind drift... destination Wilbur.  Mike took my warning and abandoned the Wilson Creek turn and joined me on our next leg to Wilbur (Airport).

We both completed the 40km run to Wilbur and joined up over the airport (for me its pretty rare that I ever end up having to share a thermal out here!).  While we climbed I spotted some very high Q's that had formed NW of us and told Mike if we could connect we might have a very good chance of staying high (on the north edge of the plateau. The high ground (3000 ft ) is often very productive late in the day.  We both switched our "go to destination" to the tow site (50+km's) and left Wilbur at 8400ft, plunging NW  against a 10-15mph Westerly.   The clouds had disappeared but the lift remained.  I managed a climb to 9400, Mike struggled a bit and did not get quite as high  as I pushed west.

As it turned out, getting out ahead got me back to Mansfield, Mike being a little behind got the short end of the stick (lift) and got stuck on the East side of Banks Lake unable to get enough height to cross.  My faster line was not keeping me that high but it did get me near the edge of the lake where I managed a good climb past 8000ft asl, allowing me to cross west and into good smooth evening air near Sim's Corner.

Mike on the other hand, fought for more then an hour trying to climb out, unfortunately being stuck between 2800 and 5500ft meant having to fight 10-15mph drift and nothing would break through to allow him to move west.  Mia was dutifully providing support to Mike by having a windsock  at the ready.  Eventually, gravity won and he was forced to land.

At nearly the same time, I landed back in Mansfield and had carried my glider back to the front lawn. (5.7 hours 162km FAI triangle).  Cold beer, cool green lawn.... life is good.

Mike's Flight and My Flight

Mia arrived back with Mike,  disappointed as to not having made it back but happy to had a good landing, first trip across the lake and his longest flight ever on his VR (time wise)... and of course cold beer.  Looks like tomorrow... more of the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment